7 Benefits of Surah Al-Baqarah
Surah Al-Baqarah is a Madni Surah because it was revealed in Medina after migration. It is the second and also the largest surah of the Holy Quran. It consists of 286 ayat and 40 rukus. This surah covers many topics and stories of the past prophets are also discussed in surah Baqarah. In this surah, Allah mentioned three types of people; The Believer, The Disbelievers, and the hypocrites.
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) informed us about the different virtues and importance of this surah. Let us discuss some benefits of this surah.
- Hazrat Abu Hurairah (RA) narrated a hadith that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said “Don’t turn your houses into graves, Shaitan (devil) will not enter the house in which surah Baqra is recited”.
Ibn Masud (RA) in another narration said "Whoever recite the ten ayats of surah Baqarah, these verses include; first four ayat, Ayat-Ul-Kursi (verse 255), verses (256-257) and the last three ayats at night then shaitan will not enter his home".
- There are many ayats and short surahs which are recited by Muslims as a protection against black magic. Among these verses, ten ayats are from surah Baqarah that includes; four beginning verses, Ayat-Ul-Kursi, Verses (256-257), and the last three verses of surah Al-Baqarah.
- Hazrat Abu Masud (RA) narrated that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) SAID THAT “Recite last two verses of the surah Baqarah at night and it will be sufficient for you” These verses were revealed to Prophet (PBUH) during the journey of Miraj.
- Ayat-Ul-Kursi (verses 255) present in surah Baqarah is of great importance. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) emphasizes on reciting of Ayat-Ul-Kursi after every prayer.
- In verses 256, Allah mentioned that there is no compulsion in religion, and we have to understand the meanings of this ayat.
- According to a hadith narrated by Hazrat An-Nawwas bin Saman (RA), Prophet (PBUH) said that " Quran will favor those on the day of judgment who recites Quran and acts according to it in the world" Prophet (PBUH) said that particularly two surahs, Surah Baqarah and Surah Al-Imran will favor and defend the person who recite these two surahs regularly.
- In Majma-Ul-Bayan, late Tabarsi quoted that once someone asked from Messenger of Allah that "which surah is best? Prophet (PBUH) replied "Al-Baqarah" and, then he asked that which ayat of Al-Baqrah is best to recite? He (PBUH) replied “the verse of throne, Ayat-Ul-kursi (verse 255).
Surah Al-Baqarah has numerous benefits, and it also helps us to understand Islamic laws and learn a lesson from historical stories of past Prophet and nations. It was the first surah that explained that everything is under the control of Allah Almighty, and he will take account of everything 9hidden or visible). We should try to recite surah Baqrah daily and have to make it our habit. At least we have to memorize specific verses of Al-Baqarah such as Ayat-Ul-Kursi (verse 255) and the last two verses of this surah. To get maximum benefits from surah Baqarah, we have to recite it frequently.